Sunday, March 24, 2002

Liquid Issues: I don't ask for much from grocery stores. Virtually all I buy from them is stuff to drink. I have a policy against drinking anything that has more than a few calories, unless it contains alcohol, then all bets are off. During the day, I keep myself pretty well-caffinated via Diet Coke/Pepsi (please don't lecture me about the difference), so in the evenings I want something non-carbonated. Water, you suggest. Well yes, but I like flavor - I'm not a minimalist. So I have found four drinks that fit the bill. Sobe Lean Peach Mango, Snapple Diet Air (I think its actually a pear flavor), Snapple Diet White Grape, and Propel (a lightly-flavored, carbohydrate-enhanced water from Gatorade). For whatever reason, there is not a grocery store in the area than can keep any of these in stock, except Propel, presumably because Gatorade has the marketing clout to keep these people on their toes.

Meijer's is the worst for this. They can stock 497 different varieties of canned tomatoes, 943 different flavors of pork rinds, and 1024 different colors of condoms, but they can't manage to restock the drinks I like. Losers. I hope Wal-Mart puts them out of business.

That turned into a nice little rant, didn't it? I sure wish I could order this stuff on the web by the case. It's enough to make a guy drink more beer.