Monday, July 22, 2002

We Get Letters - II: It's beginning to look like I might not get to Saugatuck this year, for the first time in a few years. Sad. Reader Swhiteb read my little summer vacation essay and took issue with my mild disdain for the restaurants in the Saugatuck/Holland area.
Next time, try Till Midnight in Holland, Toulouse or Chequers in Saugatuck, and Everyday People Cafe in Douglas. The other restaurants in Saugatuck also do a fine job of food preparation and, if you carefully assess their menus, you will discover that they are providing a range of options in food and price because not every person or family who attends their restaurants arrive with the desires and finances of those who frequent The Common Grill.
I have eaten at Toulouse and it was very good, but it was a couple of years ago - not in the span of the vacation I was writing about. And I also remember some decent breakfasts at Everyday People Cafe. So I stand slightly corrected.