Tuesday, May 14, 2002

RIP X-Files: I know there's a big two-hour series finale next week, but I lost interest in the X-Files a couple years back; not surprisingly coinciding with The Sopranos (new season starts 9/15) appearing in the same time slot, the loss of David Duchovny's wry understated delivery, and most of all, the complete abandonment of humor or irony. The previews for last Sunday's show looked promising what with a Brady Bunch theme to it, so I watched it along with The Legendary KK. We agreed that it was cute, but a bit cheesy and trivial.

It made me think back to what were my favorite episodes from the past and I did a little research. It turns out my favorites (in order) were:
  1. Jose Chung's From Outer Space - that was the one with Charles Nelson Reilly

  2. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose - that was the one with Peter Boyle as the guy who could see the future, won an Emmy if I recall.

  3. War of the Coprophages - that was the one with the cockroaches taking over and an entomologist named Bambi

Anyway, it seems they were all written by the same man, a fellow named Darrin Morgan. The guy must be one of the most talented screenwriters alive. The Jose Chung episode is one phenomenal piece of drama of any type. If anyone knows what show Darrin Morgan is writing for today, please let me know.