Saturday, May 25, 2002

I Am Not The Keymaster: Why do we still have a Caps Lock key? It has never been anything but an annoyance since I was in Junior High and used it for a few seconds to type the title of a paper. Just now I spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure why my ISP password was getting rejected, carefully verifying it one keystroke at a time (your password doesn't actually appear on the screen, just dots as placeholders). At first I thought my ISP must have screwed something up, until I tried from another PC. Nope, worked on that one. So I decided to sack it, call the ISP in the morning to sort it out, and opened Word - when I started typing I realized what was going on. Passwords are case sensitive and I had hit Caps Lock somewhere along the way.

Look, computer vendors (I know you're reading), if you're going to include a stupid Caps Lock key on every machine, at least make it flash and glow in the dark and possibly make that beeping noise that trucks make when they back up. Geez.