Thursday, May 16, 2002

Maybe Later: Movies I have not seen: Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, Attack of the Clones. Actually, the only movie I have seen this year is Harry Potter, just because I was stuck in a hotel with little else to do - it wasn't bad despite the rather uninspiring ending. I suspect I'll see them all at some time or another in the upcoming years, either on HBO or TNT or AMC, depending on how many years I wait. Somehow, I think Roger Ebert's review of Attack of the Clones is probably more entertaining than the film itself:
Too much of the rest of the film is given over to a romance between Padme and Anakin in which they're incapable of uttering anything other than the most basic and weary romantic cliches, while regarding each other as if love was something to be endured rather than cherished. There is not a romantic word they exchange that has not long since been reduced to cliche.

No, wait: Anakin tells Padme at one point: "I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating--not like you. You're soft and smooth." I hadn't heard that before.
Guffaw. Follow up here and here, where his partner disagrees in one of the geekiest exchanges I have ever read:
Ebert: You like the fact that Yoda turns into an action figure now with his light saber?

Roeper: I think that that is a scene [with Yoda] that "Star Wars" fans are going to absolutely love, I loved it.

Ebert: It's totally out of character for him.

Roeper: It's not totally out of character for him! That's part of his skills. He's not just this brilliant philosopher, he's also a Jedi warrior!

Ebert: Listen, if you're Yoda and you have the Force. ...

Roeper: He's a Jedi master.

Ebert: ...If you encompass the Force, you don't need no lightsaber!

Roeper: You do when you're going up against another Jedi dude who's also got super-duper mind powers!
I can just picture them having that argument over a game of Dungeons and Dragons.