Wednesday, June 05, 2002

Handmade Hooch: This exacting Margarita recipe, sent in by reader Richard H., looks to be about as close to a handmade Margarita as you can get without growing the Agave yourself.
2 limes - take the zest from them and the juice from them add 10 Tablespoons Water and 1/4 cup Sugar + 1 teaspoon sugar

Let this sit for at least 2 to 3 hours tightly covered and refrigerated in a glass or non-reactive container, but not more than 24 hours.

Strain to filter out the bits of zest and add to it the following:

3/4 cup (6 oz) Tequila - I prefer Cuervo Especial or something similar, but use a higher quality of you like.

1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Grand mariner

1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Cointreau

Serve over rock (with or without salt)

These proportions give excellent results!
I guarantee!!!!!!!!
I'd love to try this, but I'd have to find the patience to wait 2 or 3 hours. Note: this was prompted by my essay on Magaritas.