Thursday, January 31, 2002

Why Do I Live Here?: We've been having a sort of freezing rain blizzard - winter storm warnings, etc. My five minute commute took me twenty yesterday. I waited until after moring rush hour today so it wasn't so bad. I truly pity people who have a real commute to get to work.

I despise winter. Why do I live here? Why not move south and be done with it?

Because depsite what I think now, when spring comes around I won't be able to imagine living anywhere else.

You see, what I need is a winter vacation home. Somwhere I can go after Thanksgiving and come back around early April. That's about four months. I could handle four months a year in, say, Key West. Oh well...

Winter Home: Speaking of winter, my bud Kimba took this picture of her home during a previous storm. That's what it's like here now.

It's featured in our company calendar. Great picture. Lousy weather.

Great Pictures: I'm not going to write an essay on my recent jaunt down to DC, but I do want to share a bit of what caught my eye at The National Gallery this time.

First was the famous painting of Watson and the Shark by Thomas Copley. It is quite striking and there was always a bit of a crowd around it. Sort of like an early version of Jaws.

More intersting to me were a couple of works by George Bellows: Both Members of the Same Club, which is a very powerful boxing themed work that stood in contast to the more delicate aesthetics of the impressionists of the day, and New York which, remarkably, has the same look and feel of the New York you might see today.

The National Gallery site is good spot to click-about a little.