Sunday, February 24, 2002

It's Not TV, It's HBO: I finally finished my overview of HBO Original programming. I entered this project fully intending to have to trash everything in sight, but when I really explored what I thought of the shows I didn't - with one exception. So check it out. Let me know if you agree, disagree, think I'm an idiot, whatever.

I should point out that I make mention of some plot twists in these programs (The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Oz, and Six Feet Under). I don't think it will ruin things for anyone, but if you have been waiting to catch up on any of those shows and want to be surprised, proceed with caution.

It's A Done Deal: I finally got a laptop ordered. Like what I gather to be the the vast majority of people, I scrambled around, accumulated information, got all confused, then ended up ordering from Dell. An Inspirion 8100. I'm sure it's going to change my life once it arrives. Good experiences with Dell so far. If it all continues to go well I may have to write something nice about them.

Cranky Is As Cranky Does: You think I'm cranky? Look how cranky you can be once you've won the Nobel Prize.
Nayantara Sehgal, an author and niece of India’s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, had just opened a panel discussion yesterday on colonialism and oppression when Naipaul, who is 69, blurted out: “My life is short. I can’t listen to banalities.”

He continued: “And this thing about colonialism, this thing about gender oppression, the very word oppression wearies me. I don’t know why. I think it is because banality irritates me.”

Vikram Seth, author of the best-selling A Suitable Boy, tried to calm Naipaul by patting him gently on the back, with disastrous effect. “What are you doing!” fumed Naipaul, throwing off his hand.
Heh, heh, heh. I gotta read his stuff sometime.

Suspected Spam: I got this message yesterday.
-----Original Message-----
From: Shareholders [mailto:censored]
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 12:21 PM
To: dzot@usa.net
Subject: Shareholder Litigation - Suprema Specialties


Dear Investor:


We are the law firm of Schulman, O`Connell and Wood, one of the most successful shareholder plaintiff law firms in the shareholder class action space and, as such, have won billions of dollars of settlements together with our affiliates.

We are currently bringing an action against Suprema Specialties, Inc. (NASDAQ symbol CHEZ) who have recently announced that they will be restating their earnings and will report significantly lower earnings for the past years, and for allegedly failing to disclose material information as well as making materially misleading disclosures.

If you have been a shareholder of Suprema Specialties, Inc. between May, 2001 through December, 2001, we urge you to immediately click on the link below so that you preserve your rights and you can join this litigation. Our firm will represent you free of charge and will be paid for any settlement with the company.

Additionally, another service we offer is that, once you are on our list, we will inform you of any shareholder litigation that we are aware of both that our firm settles as well as otherwise, and get you the necessary forms for you to fill out and sign so that you may participate and receive monies rightly due you. Many investors are not aware that a very large portion of the settlements that they are justly entitled to ends up not being received due to failure to claim said money. Please click on the link below and enter your contact information. Thank you in advance.

http://censored/default1.asp
Suprema Specialties is in fact involved in such a litigation, but I have never owned stock in that company. Also, Google turns up absolutely nothing on the law firm of Schulman, O`Connell and Wood. If find it odd that a law firm would send out random messages searching for clients. I strongly suspect this an attempt to get valid email address for use in spamming. If so, this is one of the most creative and believable ones I have seen. My suggestion: do not respond to any such unsolicited offers. Ever.

Back To The Drawing Board: A couple weeks ago, The Always Delightful Chrissy dropped me a note to tell me that the links are too dark and difficult to differentiate from other text. I did that intentionally, but Chrissy is usually right, so I'm going to be fiddling with them. I'm also thinking of fiddling with the text size, since it might be too small for some readers. One day I will learn to leave well enough alone. But this is not that day.