Tuesday, November 08, 2022

[TV, Movies] Disney's Dive

I don't know what to do with Disney.  I should probably cancel my streaming service.  They have not produced a good movie since, well, since Endgame really.  I don't count Spiderman: No Way Home because I get the distinct impression that it was mostly Sony. Every Star Wars movie has been abysmal, except Rogue One, which was passable.

The TV series have been very bad.  I can't speak to the Star Wars series since I haven't mustered the energy to try them in the face of my horrible expectations, although I have heard good things about Andor -- interestingly a prequel to the one passable movie. 


The Marvel series have ranged from disappointing (Wandavision) to tiresome (Moon Knight) to misguided (She-Hulk) to utterly vomitous (Falcon and The Winter Soldier).  I didn't watch Ms. Marvel as the mere thought of it was depressing.  I will grant that the one-off special Werewolf by Night was on the plus side.


It's tempting to look at this as some sort of modern phenomena, but Disney has been operating on the take-a-theme-and-squeeze-every-last-penny-out-of-it-until- there-are-no-fans-left model for decades. On a whim I fired up The Love Bug, the original, from back in the '60s when I saw it at the drive in.  I did this mostly because the theme song is so catchy that I still remembered it.  It's a decent kids film.  During this time (maybe mid-60s to mid-70s, let's call it post-Mary Poppins) Disney produced films that all varied on the theme of some popular adult activity, rendered absurd and silly by magic or misadventure, mixed in a lot of really great character actors (including a young Kurt Russel) and cranked out dozens of kid hits.  They started out with some good quality The Love Bug, That Darn Cat, The Ugly Dachshund.  Then they kept at it, kept digging deeper and deeper, kept leaning on formula and sequels, reaching lower in casting, but as long as kids (like me) trusted them we still went and saw all the films (until we grew up) and they wanted every last dime.  It finally ended for good when Star Wars arrived in 1978.  Somehow, another Don Knotts spoof-western couldn't measure up anymore.  I suppose now that they are milking Star Wars for themselves they got the ultimate revenge.


The point is, I keep my Disney sub partly because it comes as a package with Hulu (Archer, Shoresy) and ESPN+, and partly because I harbor a wish that they may start kicking out quality films like Infinity War again.  But time is running out.