Monday, October 10, 2022

The Month That Was - September 2022

This month I officially reached the age at which I am eligible to collect Social Security.  Should there be deep meaning in that?  I can see none.  I'm still working so I won't be collecting it just yet.  I summarized my feelings about this point in my life a couple of months ago.  I think that was about right.  The passing of my birthday changed nothing.

For the past five years I have housed a friend and grad student in the upstairs of my home.  I was apprehensive at first, but it worked out well and it was a way to enhance the life of someone I care about, which I maintain is the ultimate purpose of life.  I'm delighted that she achieved her goals and she has left to kick off the next chapter of her life, but she had a cat that I got very attached to.  I find I developed more habits concerning the cat than I had imagined.  Rituals around feeding and scratches and cardboard boxes I habitually start to do even in its absence.  Basically, I miss the cat.  (No, I have to tell my friends, do not get me a cat to help me heal from my loss. I leave town too often to take proper care of a pet.)


Next month -- my new book.  For sure.