Tuesday, August 06, 2013

[Rant] Told ya!

Told Ya!: As Charles Barkley said, "I could be wrong, but I don't think so." Examples of the world catching up to my astonishing insights:
  • Safer is not better: "The larger fact is that, by today's standards, most parents of that era deserved to do time at Leavenworth. What sinners they were! They sent us outside without sunscreen, let us ride bikes without helmets and jump on trampolines without 'safety barriers,' and smiled as we vied with our siblings for the premier spot in the family sedan: the ledge underneath the back window, where you could stretch out and take a nap." As I mentioned in this post.
  • TV is our predominant art form, not movies:"...cable television's open-ended serial dramas represent 'the signature American art form of the first decade of the twenty-first century.'" I have made this point multiple times of the years, the last in an off the cuff comment back in '10, but in the past couple of years I've actually moved on to worrying about the golden age being over and what's next. All my TV posts here.
  • The times aren't a changin' anymore: "As novelist Douglas Coupland has pointed out, ordinary people in photographs from 1993 are indistinguishable from people in photographs now. Can you name another 20-year period in modern American history when this is true? 1900-20? 1920-40? 1970-90? His analysis: There's not much geist left in the zeit." Another common theme here. I mentioned this just last month. Maybe I could sue Douglas Coupland. Or he me.