Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Up the Amazon

Up the Amazon: Speaking of Amazon, I am very close to buy some stock in it. I buy virtually everything from them, and not just books. It's my go to service for music downloads. I picked up a new el cheapo Timex Ironman watch because I wanted something with a lap timer and while there were a lot of places I could have bought from, of the cheapest prices Amazon was the only one that didn't strike me as potentially fly-by-night -- that's typical. I have in the past purchased everything from wi-fi routers to fruit baskets to bathing suits to USB hubs to a road bike. My standard purchasing habits now consist of finding something I want in a brick and motor store to make sure it has tactile validity, then ordering it on Amazon. I even track things I'm interested in by keeping a wish list going and watching for price drops. They have done an amazing job of consolidating retailers on their web site -- going forward in the world on online retail, there will be Amazon, and a few niche retailers (Zappos, NewEgg), and that's all. When retail push comes to shove, Amazon will likely be the last one standing.

(Begging: if you read about something here that you would like to buy, please click through the link on the left panel. I get a tiny, tiny little commission if you do.)