Saturday, July 31, 2004

Back Again: I spent the better part of the last week in Tucson, Arizona at the Miraval, Life in Balance, Resort and Spa where I got stabbed with needles, balanced on top of a telephone pole, basted and slow roasted, and just generally was taken care of for a change. A full accounting will be forthcoming.

I also took pictures (shock and awe!), but there is only one that I think is worth sharing: this one (it's about 175k). It's a picture of the one of the pools with the mountain vista in the background. I may share some others after I use them as experimental photoshop fodder.

I also finished Garrison Keillor's Summer 1956. A beautifully written book, but if you are used to the innocent Lake Wobegon stories, the explicit nature of this book may shock you. The main character is a 14 year-old boy and Keillor doesn't spare the sexual obsession and toilet humor that define that age. Keillor may be the only writer in the world who can frankly portray the lurid mind of an adolescent boy and still make it sound like poetry. More to say about this in the future, too.

Give me a couple of days to sort myself out and then I'll be back with more thrills and spills.