Tuesday, February 06, 2024

The Month That Was - January 2024

My memory is uncertain but I think I started blogging in 1999, which means I've been at this for a quarter-century this year.  Nobody actually blogs anymore, at least not in the original sense.  Not even me.  I just do monthly postings to keep my writing muscles engaged.  At the start I didn't have my own url.  I just had some space allocated by my internet Provide.Net, so my page was something like www.provide.net/dmazz which was my personal allotted space on their servers.  There were no blogging tools so I coded HTML by hand and made adjustments to pagination manually with every post. I got quite efficient at it.  It was during that pre-Google era that my blog reached the height of its popularity when I managed to get listed in Yahoo's list of blogs.  In alphabetic order A Dam Site was at the top of the page so anyone who searched for blogs saw mine first in the list.  Had I been smarter and more foresightful I would have parlayed that into a tech empire. (Interestingly, provide.net still exists as some sort of specialty internet provider with a very reasonably priced fiber offering.  I'm guessing they are a reseller/installer, but idk.)

In any event, we once again increment the year and I have an opportunity to reconfirm my new year's resolutions, which are really just my life principles.


  1. Enhance the lives of the people I care about.

  2. Fight sloth (the Deadly Sin, not the adorable forest creature).


I see no reason to change those.


[TV] Alas, Toob Notes

[Rant] San Francisco State of Mind

[Michigan] Michigan State of Mind