Tuesday, November 07, 2017

[Tech] [Rant] Amazon, You're (a little) Dead To Me

Just a brief note to advise you never to buy Amazon hardware. Ever. I love Amazon. They publish all my books and I spend the bulk of my disposable income on their site. But I have been burned too many times by their hardware to ever buy another piece of Amazon brand electronics again.

I have owned a Fire Phone, a Fire HD tablet, and a Fire Stick and all have been outright crap. The Fire phone couldn’t keep a spotify playlist running and eventually the charger input jack ceased to function so I could never charge the phone. The Fire tablet so totally freaked out after a system upgrade that I had to get Amazon to do something magical to reset it, and after that it kept serving me ads when I paid for the ad free version.

Both the phone and the tablet made sideloading proper android apps from the Google play store a pain in the ass in an effort to limit you to purchasing apps from the Amazon app store only, which would have been fine if they would have at least kept semi current on the apps.

Now the Fire stick has developed a habit of resetting if I try to restart a streaming video after pausing it. What utter crap. Never again. I plan to replace the Fire stick with a Roku stick (my Roku has always been dead reliable).

Alexa is preemptively banned from my home.

Of course, I’ll probably buy the Roku Stick from Amazon.