Thursday, February 09, 2017

[Rant] Looking Ahead

Each year I try to set some goals in three areas -- House, Fitness, Travel. There are goals in other areas too, but not for publication. So away we go...

House: Could this finally be the year I get the Master Bath redone? If so I need to get started now. It's not as if there won't be long waits to fit in builders schedules. Apart from that, there is leftover landscaping from 2016. I have the plans for that, so I may not go to the same place to get it done, if I can get a lowball bid. Apart from that there are minor repairs and painting. Perhaps even a full exterior painting. I predict I get one major thing done.

Fitness: A century ride (100 miles). In fact, more time on the bike in general. I may try to do another triathlon, but I'd be happy just doing the same open water swim I did last year. And as always, I should have at least one half marathon on the schedule to make sure I don't backslide. I don't think I'll do all three Mack races this year. The 8-Mile, yes, but the other only if I have friends who want to join me. Three times a year to the island is a lot of expense. I won't miss my staple races, Big House, Road Ends, Holiday Hustle. I'm usually a lot more specific in this area, but I'm inclined to think I'd like to dovetail a lot of fitness events with travel...

Travel: A Spring and a Winter trip to FL, I'd like to catch another Tigers spring training game, among other things. I'd like to get SCUBA certified, that might involve a nice trip to St. Somewhere. There is a total solar eclipse occurring right over Charleston SC, which might be a good reason to go for a visit. I have friends in North Carolina now so a jaunt to Asheville might be of interest. Sedona, AZ has re-emerged on my radar as I have been reading about the mountain bike trails. Each year I wonder if it's the right year for an epic trip, and each year I find reasons to take shorter trips, closer to home. The truth is, that grand adventure style trip doesn't interest me that much. I have never been to Europe; never even been out of North America. I don't know why, despite my urge to be in motion, I've never felt compelled enough to vanish to the far side of the world. It is a topic I should explore, and every year might be the year, but I am no longer optimistic that any sort of "grand tour' will happen -- and I'm OK with that.