Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Month That Was - February 2014

The Month That Was - February 2014: It remains the most brutal winter in my memory. Cold, snow, ice. Constant inconvenience and discomfort. Sky high heating bills. Businesses are going broke trying to keep their sidewalks clear and their parking lots plowed and avoid slip and falls. There is no road salt to be had -- they can't pull it out of the ground fast enough. The school year has been extended because there have been so many snow days. It's gotta end eventually right? Luckily I was able to spend a week down in Florida this month (trip report below) otherwise I would be homicidal at this point.

I still have a half-marathon to run at the end of next month and my training has been sparse. It's not so much the cold that is the problem it's that snow has piled up at the edges of all the streets which would squeeze a runner into traffic, and ice has covered everything else. I can't run any serious distance on a treadmill so I am stuck running in small circles around a local park or in the side streets around my neighborhood where they maintain a path. I have been keeping up on my cross-training so I hope I'm not that bad off, but I need to be back up to 12+ miles by mid-March or I'm done for.

I have an enormous amount of work to do around the house. The fireplace (gas) has never worked and I set to pulling it apart to see if I could determine the problem. All I got was sooty. I need to call someone in. And I might as well see about upgrading to one of those fancy units with remote control while I'm at it.

You get an extended trip report this month, something I haven't done in a while. Otherwise, short shrift. My car is still an issue. The book is still in revision. It's like my life is as frozen as the weather.

[Rant] Tethered to Cable
[Travel] Islands in the Gulf