Tuesday, May 03, 2011

[Movies] Flick Check (HD Version)

Flick Check (HD Version): Since I now have that beautiful 65" plasma HD screen I figured I better view a couple of effects heavy movies to see what's up.

Inception -- Uh...what? It was visually stunning beyond my imagination, but I can't for the life of me figure out what was going on. I'll grant you I'm old and my mind is going, but still. I am reminded of an episode from the X-Files called Jose Chung's From Outer Space written by the brilliant Darin Morgan. At one point in that script we were three flashbacks deep, yet we never had any doubt where we were in the story. Not so in Inception. It was like drilling down in a fractal. Every view was different but how they connected was lost. Very pretty to look at though.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I -- Boring, even in high def. Even more boring than the Half Blood Prince. There are huge swaths of this movie given over to meaningful looks and pointless handwringing. I've never liked the replacement Dumbledore and he's at his worst here, at least he's dead now (Ack! Forget the Spoiler Alert!). It's getting repetitive what with horrible things happening but Harry always succeeding through the love of others. And what's with this whole Horcrux thing. Suddenly, out-of-the-blue, we find out about these horcrux thingies that can stop Voldemort. Deus Ex Machina, my friends. Still you gotta watch 'em to see how it turns out now, you're fully invested. But you don't have to admire it.