Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Long Gone: Good grief what's next? Will it be a month between posts this time? Actually I have been thinking of doing just that: doing a monthly diary style post. What I should do is completely rework this from a traditional blog; I am not keeping up on things at all, primarily because there is nothing special about blogs or blogging anymore and because I want to devote my writing to more directed ends. Of course, I'm not sure what that reworking is...

Last weekend I was in Manhattan. There are two places I need to visit a couple of times a year, Manhattan is one and Vegas is the other. This time Manhattan included a fine day at the MoMA, highlighted by 20 years of Pixar and an evening at English is Italian, delicious food but be hungry, there's lots. As always, it was a thrilling just to be in Manhattan, but like everywhere else, it's better when the weather is warm.

Football-wise, I did a quick postmortem on the Indy Colts. If you've been following the column you may find it interesting.

Lastly we have the usual linkage, both subtle and gross:
  • An animated .gif of the famous Bigfoot film, but with the camera stabilzed. I found this oddly mesmerizing. That is because I am weird.

  • From Slate, the story of how Blockbuster managed to get lobbed on to the ash heap of history.

  • A list of some interesting satellite maps from Google Earth. Very cool. Naturally I zeroed in on The Strip...

  • Why oh why do we need Clerks 2? I suupose I should keep an open mind, but is it so hard to leave well enough alone? What's next More Office Space?

  • I'm a little late with this, but here is a good list of the most misinterpreted and downright inaccurate statistical pronouncements of 2005. (Abuse of statistics by the idiot press is a real pet peeve of mine.)

  • Top 10 literary mysteries. I have read exactly one: The Name of the Rose

  • The divine P.J. O'Rouke on writing. I love to hear how successful writers feel the same way about writing as I do.

  • Josh seeks a Godly wife. Josh has certainly narrowed the field.