Tuesday, September 12, 2023

[TV] Unjustified

I mentioned this last month but it merits repeating: the follow up mini-series to my beloved Justified is truly awful.  Normally I wouldn't give much of a hoot beyond simple disappointment, but this is border-line offensively bad.  This is an entirely emotional reaction on my part.  I really loved Justified.  I thought it had about the best writing a TV show ever has had.  Although for high concept and stunning dialogue it is topped by Deadwood, for effectiveness in the TV genre Justified was unsurpassed.  On more than one occasion I have been told that I have a demeanor similar to Deputy U.S. Marshal Rayan Givens, which is a great, and probably undeserved compliment.  A rewatch of a season is a go-to for me to purge the blues.  I don't know who is involved in this follow-up but it has no good qualities at all.  It is truly a first to worst scenario.  I have to admit I've stooped to hate-watching at this point. Of all the disappointments in television of recent years, this one really pissed me off.

I can't help but think somehow they realized what a disaster it was because, in the post-script we get to see the return of Boyd Crowder and a hint of some of the old energy.  It's as if they were saying, "Sorry about this pathetic mess, we'll do better next time."  I would love to see that follow up, but only if it's handed to a team of writers who respect the source material and can actually, you know, write dialogue.  And a showrunner who knows how to manage pacing and tone.  I won't hold my breath.