Friday, October 05, 2018

[TV] Toob Notes: Quick Takes

Just some quick comments of what I've been watching.

Better Call Saul -- Remains the best show on television but this season has started a bit slow. The show lost quite a bit when the Chuck-Jimmy conflict ended. You can tell because perhaps the most striking dramatic moment of this season (so far) is when Jimmy realizes he's not getting reinstated because he couldn't bring himself to mention his brother's name. Things are coming to head, however, for Jimmy, Kim, and Mike. I expect a full on race to the finish starts now.

Lodge 49 -- Self-consciously bills itself as Lebowski for the small screen, and that's a good description, but I see a lot of John from Cincinatti in there too. Dysfunctional brother and sister make their way the weirdness of life and characters in Long Beach, CA. I don't know where it's going or what to make of it yet, and that may be the creators intent, but it is engaging and intriguing enough for me to come back every week. Strong cast, especially Sonya Cassidy. You need to be of a certain type of mind to appreciate it. I, evidently, am.

Rewind: Justified (2, 4, 6) -- Rewatched the even seasons, which were the best, but all are worth seeing if you missed it first run. So many great characters, so much wonderful dialog. Why can't all shows be written this well? I hope they never revive it, like...

...Magnum, P.I. Yes, they rebooted Magnum. It serves a purpose. It captures the good-natured, cheese-and-corn-on-a-tropical-island tone of the original and reminds us of how bad TV used to be (by comparison) and demonstrates that we watched it because there was nothing better. Also interesting are the casting decisions. Higgins is a hot chick and Magnum, well, I guess they figured there were no modern day Tom Sellecks so they went in the opposite direction and cast a small, pretty, hispanic boy. Oddly, they do pull it off to a certain extent. If you we're really hoping they'd bring more shows like Magnum P.I. back, well, wish granted. There are worse ways to spend an hour.

As for me I can't get over the contrast of a good '80s cop show (Magnum) with a good contemporary cop show (Justified). Night and day, my friends. Despite what you read, some things in this world get better.