Wednesday, July 05, 2023

[Rant, Dexter] A Moment of Gratitude

The two above posts were rather dire.  I should take a moment to point out how lucky I am and how good I have it.  I no longer live in Ann Arbor proper, and honestly, I don't think I would.  I live on the outskirts of the first city to the west, Dexter.  I don't even really live in the Village of Dexter proper, I live in Webster Township.  A rural enclave with some upper middle class exburb developments.  

Crime is a non-issue for me.  For the most part, so is traffic, barring construction.  I've gotten so used to free movement that if I even have to head into Ann Arbor during work hours I am annoyed at the tiny delays.  Traffic in Savannah is even worse -- one day I'll write about the infrastructure inadequacies down at Southern Headquarters.  Everything I need is literally within a ten minutes drive, except the day job, but I can leverage work from home options there. 


The outdoor activities available are remarkable.  Hiking and biking paths everywhere, including trails through the woods for both bikes and hikes.  Two lakes within ten minutes.  And failing all that, my health club (where I have belonged for 22 years) is 15 minutes out.


There is wildlife everywhere too.  Deer are beyond numerous.  There are bunnies and groundhogs that tramp through my backyard.  Turkey flocks come and peck at their reflections in my basement windows. I have a bike ride I do through some of the gravel roads that takes me past cows and horses and even a llama ranch.  


Winters can be hard, but in truth, they grow more tolerable each year.  I have lived in Michigan my whole life. I have been in the Ann Arbor area for 45 years.  I have been in the Dexter area for 30 of those years.  And I have lived in the same house for 13 years.  I must like it here.