Saturday, May 07, 2022

[TV] Making Peace?

The backstory of the show is this:  When DC Films brought James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) in to the revive the mess that was made of the Suicide Squad movie (2016) by making The Suicide Squad movie (2021) he was so impressed with John Cena that he angled to make a solo TV show for his character.  The result, The Peacemaker, about a hero who claims to "cherish peace with all my heart.  I don't care how many men, women, and children I need to kill to get it."

I binged The Peacemaker on HBOmax and I have to say it was delightful. If you are familiar with James Gunn's movies, I can happily inform you is more James Gunn-ish than any of them.  I also must tell you it is R-rated.  Very R-rated.  Not for kids.


The plot involves a shady government organization, alien invasion, and white supremacists.  The latter, a nod to the woke, probably because James Gunn himself got temporarily canceled at one point, but it's not so awful as to ruin the show.  And all the fun of the show is in the dialogue and character interaction as a group of misfits eventually come together through a barrage of quips, insults, and assorted hyper-ironic situations.


Aside: If I ever have the time and inclination to write an annoying, pretentious, long-form pop-culture analysis, it would be about how all these wisecracking, humorous superheroes owe a debt to Joss (semi-cancelled) Whedon's Buffy, the Vampire Slayer show and ultimately full circle back to Marvel Comics in the '70s.  Fear not, I don't foresee having the time and inclination.


The show slacks off a bit in the later episodes, but end to end I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Also, it has a kick-ass metal soundtrack -- Spotify Playlist -- that sounds good to me even though headbanging was after my time.


Recommended, but like I said, keep the kids away.