Sunday, March 07, 2021

[Movies] Flick Check: Round Up

I had given up on general movie watching, thinking TV series had taken over, but TV quality has taken a nosedive and I've stumbled on some good flicks.  I believe anyone would enjoy watching any of these. 

Vast of Night -- From a first time director that caught the eye of a lot of people.  It's an alien visitation story, low-budget, Twilight Zone-ish, but took chances and ended up a very clever bit of filmmaking.  By "chances'' I mean direct and indirect references to black and white tv shows of the late fifties, extended blackout moments, and a striking 10-minute tracking shot.  It has a certain amateurish feel which is not only appropriate for the genre but also part of its charm.  Also great performance from lead actress Sierra McCormick. 


Into the Spiderverse -- Yeah, I finally got around to watching this.  It's very skillfully done.  Sharp dialogue, with heart and humor.  The plot is pure formula but not in a bad way. My problem is that I simply cannot connect with animated films.  I don't think I ever have -- even as a child.  I can't remember an animated film from my youth that left an impression. I remember Saturday morning cartoons.  Even today I love Archer, the first season of Family Guy, a number of South Park episodes -- maybe it's when animation becomes a full length movie giving it the pretense of drama… I don't know.  Spiderverse is a good film. I think if it had been live action I would have liked it.


Hunt for The Wilderpeople -- A Taika Waititi gem.  Sam Neill and the fat kid with a splash of diabetes from Deadpool2 go on the run in the wilds of New Zealand.  I don't know how anyone can write comedy in the soul-crushing, fun-hating, depressing bureaucracy we call the entertainment industry today, but Taika manages it consistently.  Bless him. He does that thing he does where he takes tragedy and swamps it with gentle humor without denying it.  This movie is a delight.