Wednesday, January 06, 2021

[Movies] Flick Check: The Rise (and fall, and further fall) of Skywalker

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker was bad.  I know that won't surprise you because everyone has seen it and read the reviews.  Let's consider all nine movies in order of release:

4 - Classic

5 - Arguably even more classic

6 - Pretty darn good but marred by Ewoks

1 - Godawful

2 - Crap

3 - Crap

7 - Crap adjacent

8 - Pukeworthy

9 - Crap


Given that, it's quite remarkable how this mess has remained a cultural touchstone. My first reaction was that it must be another instance of Boomers controlling the economy, but then I am a late Boomer and I was 16 when Star Wars was first released and 19 when Empire came out.  The bulk of Boomers were well into their 20s or even 30s.  You could argue that even a 30-year-old Boomer was an impressionable child, and I'm not sure I'd disagree, but I have to believe that the generation that has kept Star Wars at the forefront or pop culture because of sentimental attachment to the early films is Gen X.  Can't really blame this one on the Boomers.  


In fairness, I should point out that the stand alone movies were better -- Solo was OK and Rogue One was outright Good.  I have not seen The Mandalorian.