Thursday, November 07, 2013

[Books] Harukiism

Harukiism: One of my favorite authors, Haruki Murakami, is poised to have a new work hit the stands, by which I mean be downloadable for kindle, in the near future. Colorless Tazaki Tsukuru and His Years of Pilgrimage has been out in Japan for a year or so and the translation should be available sometime next year. This review is glowing.

Haruki-san is one the few, if not the last, mainstream novelist whose books are a cultural event in any sense. They sell millions right out of the blocks. I'll be snagging it from Amazon the first day it is released.

In the mean time, here's a little short work that recently appeared in the New Yorker. Probably only good if you are familiar with Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Here are my quick reviews of 1Q84, Kafka on the Shore, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, and The Elephant Vanishes, and a very old review of Wild Sheep Chase and Dance, Dance, Dance that I wrote for Slashdot oh so long ago. And I've read more than that.