Saturday, June 02, 2007

Wasp, Where is Thy Sting?: By now, we all know what's up with the dwindling bees, but what about the wasps? Every summer I can count on one thing: the area I live in will be wasp central. There is always nest in between the gutter and the outside wall just outside my balcony. There is always a nest in my garage -- I tend to leave my car outside in summer, so there is not much garage activity to disturb them. There is always a nest in the base of this one light pole at work, where the metal is slightly twisted giving them a safe little gap. Not so this year. Not only are they not in their usual places, they aren't anywhere at all. Not even hovering menacingly around public garbage cans like they always do. I think I can safely say I have not seen one wasp all year. Weird.

Not that I mind. I hate the ornery little buggers and am glad to be without them. I'm just curious how it came about.