Saturday, December 09, 2023

[Roaring 20s] The New Next Thing

>>>For several years now the new thing I have been uncertain about has been cryptocurrency.  I could understand all the arguments for it, but I didn't see its value beyond intangible transactions and as a hedge against some sort of bizarre worldwide currency meltdowns.  It's gotten worse since lately everyone who has wanted to do something clever with it has been a scammer.  The core of it -- Bitcoin proper and the Coinbase exchange seem to be legit but it's completely unclear to me where it is all going to land.  Part of the reason is that the only current advantage it has over regular currency is secrecy and therefore it's perfect for illicit activities.  The only other reason to hold it is as a speculative investment which like all fads and fashion can seem brilliant…for a while. For now, I see no purpose relevant to me, so I've kind of let it drift out of my mind.  And yet, in spite of all the nonsense with other crypto (or, perhaps, because of) Bitcoin has more than doubled in price this year.


>>>It's been replaced by AI.  I'm not sure of the ultimate highest purpose for AI.  It is scary, not just in the existential sense, but in the "step into my office, here's your severance" kind of way.  ChatGPT and its ilk are fascinating and obviously useful either in the present or future tense.  People have used it to create a lot of interesting images, to write books in the style of others, just an enormous number of clever things.  My problem is I'm just not sure how I should use it.


Using these AI tools appears to be all about figuring out how to ask the correct things to get the answers you need.  It seems like the key skill to develop here is knowing how to ask the right questions in the right way.  This is called "prompting".  So I prompted Bing Chat (a ChatGPT like bot) to tell me what are good guidelines to follow from prompting AI.  This was the response:


Effective prompts play a crucial role in obtaining high-quality responses from AI systems. Crafting well-structured prompts can significantly impact the output. Here are some essential guidelines for creating effective prompts:

Provide Context: Start your prompt with relevant context. Context helps the AI understand the task and generate more accurate responses. For instance, instead of asking, “What’s the weather like?” provide context like, "What’s the weather forecast for Chicago this weekend?"

Be Specific: Avoid vague prompts. Specify what you want from the AI. If you’re seeking information about a specific topic, mention it explicitly. For example, instead of asking, “Tell me about bananas,” ask, "What are the health benefits of eating bananas?"

Build on the Conversation: If you’re interacting with an AI model that allows continuation, build on the previous prompt. This helps maintain context and coherence. For instance, after asking about banana benefits, you can follow up with, "Are there any downsides to consuming bananas?"

Remember, the way you frame your prompts shapes the AI’s output. By following these guidelines, you can maximize the benefits of AI interactions.

Well that makes sense, I suppose.  It's definitely something I need to work on.  I hate to think of this as the point where I lose the ability to keep up with technical advancements.  I don't want to end up like one of those people who prints out their emails, or writes checks at the grocery store, or stops and asks for directions.  I'm glad I know how to do those things if I have to, but I don't want to.  I don't want to be the last one doing a google search when I could just ask the right question of a bot.  I need to make a concerted effort to practice prompting.


It's amazing how I have turned so many aspects of life into metaphors for getting old.


>>>Other notes:

  • It looks like we have potentially bio-engineered cavities away.  Sadly, this is one advancement I may be too late to take full advantage of.
  • Legacy media is a lost cause. We all know social and alternative media totally dominate the landscape, but it seems legacy has no interest in even trying to adapt.