Monday, June 12, 2023

The Month That Was - May 2023

As I write this I am in fear of missing another month (update: turns out I'm just very late).  This one because I am mostly drawing a blank on topics.  This site is largely unsuccessful at attracting eyeballs because I don't write about bombastic stuff designed to inflame your neurosis.  Nor do I write anything that is too deeply personal or anything regarding other people in my life or work.  I also offer no special expertise or important information to share.  I would consider those the three things that attract an audience to web writing and I'm 0/3. The last one, I have nothing to offer.  The first two I am too old school to find appropriate.  I guess, for the time being the purpose of this site is just to keep me in the habit of writing, if even just in a small way.  I have previously sworn not to start another novel until I retire (not that far away). So in that sense, not having topics is a good challenge to keep the writing muscles in shape.  

If I really wanted to be an influential writer I would start a Substack. That's what anyone who is anyone is doing.  They provide a great format for long form writing, one which is very easy to monetize.  But I would be facing the same issue I am here.  What would I write about that would be of value (productive value or entertainment value) that wouldn't be one of these three things.  What I do have for a project is publishing all 5 of my books as substacks with nominal fees.  But again that's for some time in the future.


All this in an environment where the written word is being abandoned in favor of youtubes and podcasts. And the world's greatest twitter troll, Three Year Letterman, is releasing his new book, Not Some Random Clown, as a series of tweets.  


This world has moved beyond me.


[Sports] Things Are Getting Interesting

[Travel, Rant] Scurrying about Down South