Saturday, August 07, 2021

[Rant] Now What?

At some time in the future I may relate the entire story of my termination. In short, after 28 years my position is effectively being moved overseas.   I will say that, while my emotions run the gamut and I certainly disagree with the decision, I have to acknowledge that they had the right to make it. (Also, as a global, multinational company headquartered outside the U.S., I can't really fault them for not prioritizing U.S. jobs.)  I am not the first person in history to be laid off, and like everyone else in history my emotional response is to feel as though it's unfair, but I also know I'll get past my emotions.

And, although I am still in the negative stage emotionally, the way it was done was quite reasonable.  I have been given 9 months warning before my last day and I have a fairly generous severance package. So I am under no great duress.  The fact is, at my age (one month shy of 61), there is a question of how long I had to go anyway.


Still the question remains, what do I do now?  


One possibility is to outright retire.  I could almost certainly get a good price for my house. My 401k is doing well.  My IRA is doing well.  And if I literally didn't take a job I would start my Social Security payments before my severance ran out.  It wouldn't be a cushy life, but I wouldn't be stressed financially.  Would I be bored?  Maybe.  I would spend time writing and working out and maybe a road trip here and there.  Often over the course of my life there have been times I have said to myself that's all I really want to do. Maybe I should put my money, or lack thereof, where my mouth is.


Still, I put a certain amount of stock in conventional wisdom, and conventional wisdom says if you don't work, you wither, and while it sounds good to have a life of undirected time, you end up planning your day around your 4:30 early bird buffet special.  I also fear that my penchant for detachment would turn me into something of a hermit or possibly put me in some state of depression.  But maybe it wouldn't.  I have intentionally kept work out of my social life (such as it is) for years so maybe I would just find myself with a lot more time to focus on things I do by choice.  And truth is, writing is work.  Really.


Alternative number 2 is to hop back into the job market.  I think I could get a comparable position and perhaps an even better wage.  With my short time frame, I can take risks on unproven companies.  I might even find enthusiasm again.  I am reminded of the movie Up in the Air where the layed off folks are interviewed later and decide losing their job was a blessing after all.  And the fact is, if I try it and it doesn't work out, I can then just retire.


A 3rd option would be a compromise.  An undemanding job -- something to "keep me busy" and keep me engaged with the world.  This compromise brings to mind 30 hour per week part-time jobs to maintain health insurance.  I'm not there yet.  But there are other flavors of this -- sitting on community or charity advisory boards, investing with folks starting small businesses, etc. -- that could be promising.


The big problem I have is the same problem I have had all my life.  I don't know what I want.  (I'm beginning to realize that every problem I have is a problem I have had all my life, but that's another rant.)  At some point I will have to pick a direction and go.  It would be nice if, for once, I did that with a solid purpose in mind rather than just because I had to pick something.


Geez, I just needed 3 or 4 more years…