Monday, March 02, 2020

[Rant] OK Boomers

I was born in 1960. That makes me a late Boomer, assuming your definition follows the standard of "born between 1946 and 1964". My father served in WW2 and my mom was in the Waves, so the appellation fits.

Almost every claim everyone makes about Boomers is correct. We have had the cushiest birth in history, a notion first popularized in the deeply annoying movie, The Big Chill. The worst economic times we've ever seen was in 2009, now termed the Great Recession, which folks before us would have laughed at and which I took advantage of to buy a house at the bottom of the market.

We have done so well with money over the course of our lives that mass culture has been forced to follow us into old age. Have you noticed that Magnum P.I. and Hawaii 5-0 have been rebooted on TV? The most successful movie franchise of all time is based on comic books I remember from my tween years. How about the dinosaurs of Classic Rock still dominating the airwaves and raking in concert dollars?

We've also managed to preside over the gutting and degradation of just about every one of the institutions that supported us on our way to the top. If I were cynical I would call that pulling the ladder up behind us. Yes, Gen X takes some blame for this too, but they were just copying us.

About the only accusation that isn't true is that we've "ruined the planet". This is objectively false. By any broad measure the environment is better than it's ever been.

Wait! It gets better. The past few years have brought massive advances in the battles against cancer and Alzheimer's. That means most of us are probably going to live well beyond 80 and many of us will see triple digits. I have to laugh when I hear young people talk about Medicare for All. You're going to end up with half your meager paychecks going to cover our medical bills while we sit around and gripe about how you are ruining everything.

OK boomer? Not just OK, I'm doin' great.