Tuesday, January 07, 2020

The Month That Was - December 2019

I looked back on some of my posts from ten years ago to see what had changed. A couple things were identical. I still have the same day job and I still write and get frustrated with my progress. Other than that my life is quite a bit different. Ten years ago was the height of my travelling phase. I was literally going somewhere every month and discovering new things and writing extensively about them. My circle of friends was both larger and more intimate. My personal life involved regular contact with folks who now I rarely contact outside of facebook. I had yet to buy my current house which kind of dominates my checkbook now. My parents were still alive. Judging from my posts, I saw nothing special in the changing of the decade, and I was unaffected by the imminent demise of my forties. Yet it really was the end of an era of sorts. Am I sitting at the cusp of another era now? I'll let you know in ten years.

Aside: I started blogging over 20 years ago, but those posts have been lost to the ages. Just as well, I seem to recall an inordinate amount of snark. I suspect much at that time centered around the release of my first book Apple Pie, by that dirtbag publisher whose name I will not put in print, in December 1999. ("It was twenty years ago today...") The changes in my life since then would be astounding to catalog.

For now, I will maintain the same New Year's Resolutions I have for quite some time now:
  1. Enhance the lives of the people I care about.
  2. Fight sloth (the Deadly Sin, not the adorable forest creature).
If I succeed in these, everything else should fall into place. At least, that's the plan.

[Travel] At Sea with Steamboat Willie
[Books] What I've Been Reading
[Rant] Progress, or Not