Thursday, December 06, 2018

The Month That Was - November 2018

A lot of activity this month. I traveled twice, once to Chicago for weekend and a showing of Hamilton, once to Florida where I also saw a play, The Music Man. Both are reviewed below. But travel is over for the year, mostly because I have no vacation time left.

Every year for the last, oh, 10 or so I have run a half-marathon. It takes me the bulk of the year to work up to being in shape for it so it's been a kind a benchmark for me. As long as I get a half in at some point during the year I'm not backsliding or going easy on myself. This year, events conspired to prevent me from doing anything organized but I still did it -- just unofficially, on my own: I ran circles in a local park until my GPS watch read 13.1 miles. Hopefully I get something more interesting done in that vein next year. I have one race left -- my local 5k right here in Dexter -- then running is over for the year.

Writing is never over. I did make some progress. I'm barreling to the end of the first draft of my next novel, which I will not discuss as a matter of policy, except to tell you the working title is The Hawk Sahib, which means nothing to you but when future historians search for the earliest mention of this book, they'll land right here.

[Dexter, Ann Arbor] Oh Deer
[Arts] Musical Wordplay
[Books] Book Look: The Third Policeman
[Movies] Flick Check: A Star is Born